Songlines Music Awards 2015
Launched in 2008, the Songlines Music Awards celebrate and acknowledge the myriad of musical talent across the world that has been featured in Songlines magazine. For details of winners to date, check out the links above, and see our Songlines Music Awards 2014 winners' video below.
We take great pleasure in announcing the nominees in the Songlines Music Awards 2015. Votes came from you, our readers, as well as the general public.
Here we reveal the top four nominees in each of the categories - Best Artist, Best Group, Cross-Cultural Collaboration and Newcomer - based on albums reviewed in Songlines during 2014 (from issues #98 to #105 inclusive).
And the nominees are...
- Tony Allen (for Film of Life on Jazz Village)
- Julie Fowlis (for Gach Sgeul: Every Story on Machair Records)
- Seth Lakeman (for Word of Mouth on Cooking Vinyl)
- Ricardo Ribeiro (for Largo da Memoria on Parlophone)
- Bellowhead (for Revival on Island)
- Show of Hands (for Centenary Words & Music of The Great War
on Mighty Village Records)
- Toumani & Sidiki Diabaté (for Toumani & Sidiki on World Circuit)
- Söndörg? (for Tamburocket: Hungarian Fireworks on Riverboat Records)
- Baka Beyond (for After the Tempest on March Hare Music)
- Salsa Celtica (for The Tall Islands on Discos Leon)
- Robert Plant (for Lullaby and… the Ceaseless Roar on Nonesuch)
- Kronos Quartet (for A Thousand Thoughts on Nonesuch)
- Olcay Bayir (for Neva/Harmony on Riverboat Records)
- The Gloaming (for The Gloaming on Real World Records)
- Ibibio Sound Machine (for Ibibio Sound Machine on Soundway)
- Neuza (for Flor di Bila on Lusafrica)
The winners, to be selected by the Songlines editorial team, will be published in the June 2015 issue of Songlines, #108, on sale in the UK from May 1.
Songlines Music Awards 2014 Winners
Check out our short film on the winners, including live performances, presented by Songlines editor-in-chief Simon Broughton.
Songlines Music Awards 2015 CD
A compilation album, featuring all 16 nominated artists, is available exclusively from: