Songlines Music Awards 2014
Launched in 2008, the Songlines Music Awards celebrate and acknowledge the myriad of musical talent across the world that has been featured in Songlines magazine. For details of winners to date, check out the links above, and see below for highlights of our recent Songlines Music Awards 2013 winners' concert at The Barbican.
We take great pleasure in announcing the nominees in the Songlines Music Awards 2014. Votes came from you, our readers, as well as the general public. Here we reveal the top four nominees in each of the categories - Best Artist, Best Group, Cross-Cultural Collaboration and Newcomer - based on albums reviewed in Songlines during 2013 (from issues #90 to #97 inclusive).
Click the category headings below for profiles on each of the nominated artists:
And the nominees are...
- Cigdem Aslan (for Mortissa on Asphalt Tango)
- Bassekou Kouyate (for Jama Ko on Out Here)
- Manu Chao (for Siberie M'Etait Conteee on Because)
- Mulatu Astatke (for Sketches of Ethiopia on Jazz Village)
- Clannad (for Nadur on ARC Music)
- Los Desterrados (for Dos Amantes on Enkalador)
- R.U.T.A. (for Na Vschod on Karrot Kommando)
- Tamikrest (for Chatma on Glitterbeat)
- Dizraeli and The Small Gods (for Moving in the Dark on ECC Records)
- Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita (for Clychau Dibon on Astar Artes)
- Monoswezi (for The Village on Riverboat Records/World Music Network)
- Fanfara Tirana Meets Transglobal Underground (for Kabatronics on World Village)
- Family Atlantica (for Family Atlantica on Soundway)
- Monsieur Doumani (for Grippy Grappa on Monsieur Doumani)
- Will Pound (for A Cut Above on Lulubug Records)
- We Banjo 3 (for Roots of the Banjo Tree on We Banjo 3)
To hear an excerpt from all 16 nominated albums, listen to the Songlines April/May 2014 issue Podcast (#99).
The winners, to be selected by the Songlines editorial team, will be published in the June 2014 issue of Songlines, the 100th edition, on sale in the UK from April 25.
Songlines Music Awards 2013 Winners
Check out our short film on the winners, including live performances, presented by Songlines editor-in-chief Simon Broughton.
Songlines Music Awards 2014 CD
A compilation album, featuring all 16 nominated artists, will be available from March 17 on CD, exclusively from.
For details on the Songlines Music Awards 2013 compilation album, click here.