Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The October 2015 issue of Songlines (#111) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Ballake Sissoko & Vincent Segal, Amadou Balake and The Soil as well as an exclusive guest playlist by Phil Manzanera with tracks by Tony Allen, Ludovico Einaudi and Lila Downs.
The issue also comes with a 15-track bonus CD featuring Canadian musicians such as Tanya Tagaq, Kiran Ahluwalia and Ten Strings and a Goat Skin.
The main editorial features are:
- Seckou Keita - his 22-stringed kora project
- Dom Flemons & Martin Simpson - the US/UK duo on tour
- Iness Mezel - the French/Algerian singer celebrates feminine strength
- Kaushiki Chakrabarty - Indian khayal singing
- Spotlight on Daby Toure
- Beginner's Guide to Pakistani qawwali singer, Faiz Ali Faiz
- Festival Profile from Konya Mystic Music Festival
- Introducing... Khiyo and Electric Jalaba
- Dispatch from... Belize
- Who's Touring, our selection of forthcoming UK tour highlights
Plus the latest news and CD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue