Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The October 2014 issue of Songlines (#103) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Martyn Bennett, Orlando Julius and Jerry Douglas, as well as a guest playlist by Evelyn Glennie.
The issue also includes an exclusive 18-track Discover Poland sampler CD featuring Warsaw Village Band, R.U.T.A. and Caci Vorba.
The main editorial features are:
- Sahara Soul - Celebrating nomadic artists from North Africa
- Sam Sweeney - The story of his violin made in the Great War
- My World - Evelyn Glennie
- Mor Karbasi - The Ladino singer from Israel
- Niladri Kumar - The sitarist prepares for his appearance at Darbar Festival
- Spotlight on the Afrobeat maestro Dele Sosimi
- Postcard from Lithuania's Song Contest
- Beginner's Guide to the Guinean singer Sekouba Bambino
- Festival Profile: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, California
- Full concert and festival listings
Plus the latest news and CD, DVD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue