Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The October 2016 issue of Songlines (#121) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums including Vieux Kante, FLUX, Anthony Joseph and Sarathy Korwar.
Our guest playlist this issue is by Quincy Jones who has selected tracks by Gurrumul, Ravi Shankar and Angelique Kidjo.
The main editorial features are:
- Ana Moura - The fado singer from Portugal talks to Songlines prior to her return to the UK in September
- The Meshk Ensemble - Whirling dervishes from Turkey
- Aruna Sairam - The Karnatic singer returns to Darbar Festival
- Kathryn Tickell - The Northumbrian musician and her pipes
- Beginner's Guide to the Master Musicians of Jajouka
- Dispatch from Little Havana, Miami
- Postcard from Guinea
- Introducing Bitori from Cape Verde
- Dispatch from Essaouira, Morocco
- Who's Touring, our selection of forthcoming UK tour highlights
Plus the latest news and CD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue