Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The March 2016 issue of Songlines (#115) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Baaba Maal, Sidestepper, Show of Hands and Grupo Fantasma plus an exclusive guest playlist by BBC News China editor Carrie Gracie featuring Hanggai and Julie Fowlis. The issue also includes an exclusive bonus CD from the Polish Radio Folk Festival.
The main editorial features are:
- Buika - We speak to the singer prior to her UK performance
- The Gloaming - The Irish-American five-piece return
- Show of Hands - We catch up with the English folk duo following the release of their latest album
- Smockey - The rapper and activist from Burkina Faso
- Sidestepper - Producer Richard Blair's Colombian band and creators of the electro cumbia sound
- Beginner's Guide to Irish music legends The Chieftains
- Festival Profile on the Kazimierz Dolny folk festival, Poland
- Postcard from the Amazon, Brazil
- Dispatch from Kunming, China
- Who's Touring, our selection of forthcoming UK tour highlight
Plus the latest news and CD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue