Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The July 2016 issue of Songlines (#119) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Fanfare Ciocarlia, Leyla McCalla, Mahsa Vahdat and Bellowhead plus an exclusive guest playlist by Corinne Bailey Rae including William Onyeabor, Amadou & Mariam and Ibrahim Ferrer.
The main editorial features are:
- Fanfare Ciocarlia - Simon Broughton travels to their home in Romania as they celebrate their 20th anniversary
- Africa Express & The Syrian Orchestra - Damon Albarn's latest venture comes to the UK
- Bixiga 70 - The Brazilian big band making waves
- Afro Celt Sound System - they're back and touring
- Beginner's Guide to Calypso Rose
- Postcard from Myanmar
- Dispatch from Cape Verde
- Who's Touring, our selection of forthcoming UK tour highlights
Plus the latest news and CD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue