Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The August/September 2016 issue of Songlines (#120) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Calypso Rose, Richard Bona & Mandekan Cubano and Quantic Presents Flowering Inferno.
Our guest playlist this issue is by Billy Elliot and War Horse screenwriter & playwright Lee Hall who has selected tracks by Noura Mint Seymali, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Kathryn Tickell.
Worldwide copies of the issue also include the very first Songlines International World Music Festival Guide.
The main editorial features are:
- Lura - The singer from Cape Verde talks to Songlines prior to her WOMAD Charlton Park appearance
- Mercedes Peon - The powerhouse of Galician music
- Afro-Haitian Experimental Orchestra - The legendary Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen teams up with Haitian musicians
- Edward II - The English roots and reggae band with their latest Mancunian project
- Beginner's Guide to Malian songbird Oumou Sangare
- Dispatch from Essaouira, Morocco
- Who's Touring, our selection of forthcoming UK tour highlights
Plus the latest news and CD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue