Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The June 2016 issue of Songlines (#118) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Joe Driscoll & Sekou Kouyate, Afro Celt Sound System, 9Bach and Yo-Yo Ma & The Silk Road Ensemble plus an exclusive guest playlist by award-winning radio presenter and musician Tom Robinson.
The main editorial features are:
- Lila Downs - The Mexican singer talks about music and activism prior to her long-awaited return to the UK in June
- Songlines Music Awards 2016 - We announce the winners
- UK Festival Guide - A new, revamped bumper guide highlighting all our favourite UK festivals throughout the year
- Sona Jobarteh - The Gambian female kora player and founder of the country's first music school dedicated to Mande music
- Beginner's Guide to Indian tabla master Zakir Hussain
- Postcard from Majuli, Assam
- Dispatch from Carthage, Tunisia
- Who's Touring, our selection of forthcoming UK tour highlight
Plus the latest news and CD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue