Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The April/May 2014 issue of Songlines (#99) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including La Chiva Gantiva, Malawi Mouse Boys, Salsa Celtica and Julie Fowlis. The CD also includes an exclusive playlist by British choreographer Richard Alston.
The issue also comes with a bonus CD celebrating the 25th anniversary of Norway's Forde Traditional and World Music Festival, featuring artists performing at this year's festival including Bassekou Kouyaté & Ngoni ba, Ana Moura, Karl Seglem and Taraf de Haidouks.
The main editorial features are:
- Julie Fowlis - Gaelic music's brightest star releases a new album
- Songlines Music Awards 2014 - This year's nominees
- Malawi Mouse Boys - Roadside mice-on-sticks vendors go international
- She'koyokh - London's best klezmer and Balkan music band
- Habib Koité - One of Mali's great musical ambassadors
- Spotlight on London's La Linea festival
- Introducing…Ibibio Sound Machine and Tcha Limberger
- The Essential Ten: Our pick of the best movie sountracks albums
- Beginner's Guide to Aboriginal Australian singer Archie Roach
- Festival Profile: Fes Festival of Sacred Music
- Full concert and festival listings
Plus the latest news and CD, DVD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue