Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The May 2016 issue of Songlines (#117) is OUT NOW and comes with a 15-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Konono No 1 Batida, Snowboy, Breabach and Kris Drever plus an exclusive guest playlist by Yann Tiersen.
The issue also comes with an exclusive Yorkshire Festival 2016 CD including music by Rokia Traore, The Nile Project, A Hawk and A Hacksaw and Eliza Carthy & The Wayward Band.
The main editorial features are:
- Bombino - The Touareg singer and guitarist from Niger returns
- Songlines Music Awards 2016 - We announce the nominees
- Voice of the People - We talk to Reg Hall, compiler of Topic's groundbreaking series of tradition music from the UK and Ireland
- Derek Gripper - An interview with the South African guitarist prior to his Songlines Encounters Festival appearance
- Beginner's Guide to Georgian folk ensemble Rustavi Choir
- Postcard from La Reunion
- Festival Profile on Les Suds a Arles, France
- Dispatch from Okinawa
- Who's Touring, our selection of forthcoming UK tour highlights
Plus the latest news and CD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue