Songlines magazine covers the world's most exciting music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, from Miriam Makeba to Mariza, from Gilberto Gil to Gogol Bordello.
Songlines is packed full of the latest CD reviews, artist interviews, guides to particular world music traditions, concert-listings, travel stories and every issue comes with an exclusive compilation CD.
Edited by Simon Broughton, co-editor of The Rough Guide to World Music, Songlines sees music as a window on the world and features the sharpest criticism and the best writers.
The November/December 2014 issue of Songlines (#104) is OUT NOW and comes with a 16-track compilation CD featuring tracks from the ten Top of the World albums, including Tony Allen, Kasse Mady Diabate, Kathryn Tickell and Raghu Dixit, as well as a guest playlist by novelist Ian Rankin.
The issue also includes an exclusive 15-track Galician music sampler CD.
The main editorial features are:
- Masters of Afrobeat - exchanges with Tony Allen and Orlando Julius
- Kasse Mady Diabate - The veteran Malian singer returns to the UK
- Idan Raichel - an interview with the Israeli singer-songwriter
- Anna Phoebe - the prog-rock violinist turns to the East
- Jyotsna Srikanth - Karnatic violin music from Bangalore
- Beginner's Guide to Ruben Blades: Panamanian salsero and politician
- Festival Profile: Timitar Festival, Morocco
- Postcard from Izmir, Turkey
- Spotlight on LIFEM - London's international exploratory music festival
- Full concert and festival listings
- Live reviews from Chico & The Gypsies, Shambala festival and more
Plus the latest news and CD, DVD, book & world cinema reviews.
- Click here to subscribe to the print edition
- Click here to subscribe to Songlines Digital
- Click here to buy this single issue