Songlines issue #83 (April/May 2012) is on sale in the UK on March 16 and includes our regular Top of the World CD with ten tracks from the finest new releases from around the planet, plus a second free CD Sounds of South Asia at Southbank Centre.
The Top of the World CD also includes five tracks selected by BBC 6Music presenter Huey Morgan.
The Top of the World CD includes tracks from the septuagenarian Senegalese singer Ablaye Ndiaye Thiossane; BBB (Balkan Beat Box); Emel Mathlouthi; the folk music star Seth Lakeman; Ahmad Al Khatib & Youssef Hbeisch; the invigorating new release from Fidil; and the English pair Duotone, among others.
The main editorial features include:
• Songlines Music Awards 2012: The Nominations – Now in its fourth year, the Songlines Music Awards showcase outstanding global talent.
•Youssou N’Dour – His presidential bid and Senegalese musicians’ fight for democracy.
•Narasirato – The men bringing the panpiping of the Solomon Islands to the world.
•Juan de Marcos González – The Cuban bandleader talks candidly about the state of Cuban music.
•Seth Lakeman – The English folk star creates a concept album rooted in Devon’s industrial past.
•Madagascar All Stars – Five giants of Malagasy music come together for a rare collaborative performance in June.
• Sounding Out Seoul – all the best places to see and hear music in the South Korean capital.
• Beginner’s Guide to the Madredeus.
• Postcard from Penang, Malaysia.
• Festival Profile: Sakifo, La Réunion.
• Backpage from Khartoum, Sudan.
• My World – BBC radio presenter Huey Morgan.
• Grooves – Chris Eldridge; Belinda O’Hooley and Bernard Aubert.
• News, including Songlines Encounters Festival and Cerys Matthews.
• Reviews of the latest CD, DVD and World Cinema releases.