Manu Chao, Songlines Music Awards 2013 winners and your guide to the world’s best festivals
The June 2013 issue of Songlines is on sale in the UK from April 26 and includes our regular Top of the World CD with ten tracks from the finest new releases from around the planet. The CD also includes five tracks selected by Gogol Bordello frontman Eugene Hütz, plus a bonus track from Smithsonian Folkways.
The Top of the World CD includes tracks from Touareg guitarist Bombino; popular fado star Ana Moura; Algerian singer and activist Rachid Taha; a Soundway debut from Family Atlantica; award-winning English folk artist Bella Hardy and iconic Brazilian composer Caetano Veloso.
The main editorial features include:
• Songlines Music Awards 2013 winners – We announce the four winners of the fifth annual awards.
• Manu Chao – With an extract from Peter Culshaw’s upcoming book, he reveals how Clandestino’s success turned Manu Chao’s life around.
• The Songlines Festival Guide 2013 – Our definitive guide to this year’s best UK and international festivals.
• Funmi Olawumi – The Nigerian singer prepares to bring Yoruba gospel to an international audience.
• Peret – Spain’s original Gypsy king talks rumba catalan, Franco’s regime and Eurovision.
• Baladi Blues – Set to play at Songlines Encounters Festival, Guy Schalom and Sheik Taha talk Egyptian street music.
• Beginner’s Guide to Abida Parveen.
• Postcard from Equatorial Guinea.
• Backpage from Bangkok.
• My World – Gogol Bordello frontman, Eugene Hütz.
• Grooves – the Louisiana princess of Cajun Sarah Savoy, Family Atlantica frontwoman Luzmira Zerpa and Cape Verdean singer Zé Luis.
• News, including updates from Mali and the return of Zucchero.
• Reviews of the latest CD, DVD, book and world cinema releases.