Mick Jagger’s playlist, Etran Finatawa and the Top 25 Mali Albums
The July 2013 issue of Songlines is on sale in the UK from June 7 and as well as our regular Top of the World CD, with ten tracks from the finest new releases from around the planet, the CD also includes five tracks selected by Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger.
The Top of the World CD includes tracks from sitar maestro Ravi Shankar; Songhai bluesman Samba Touré; Ladino revivalists Los Desterrados; indie-folk duo David Wax Museum; the heir to the Afro-beat throne Femi Kuti; and The Hot 8 Brass Band from Louisiana.
There is also a bonus CD, which features a varied selection of mugham tracks to accompany our feature on the intriguing classical music of Azerbaijan.
The magazine also includes:
• Top 25 Mali Albums – Our countdown of the best albums from Africa’s musical powerhouse.
• Nynke – The unique and stylish singer who introduced the world to Frisian fado talks about her new release.
• Guide to Mugham from Azerbaijan – Everything you need to know about the artists and history of this fiery Azerbaijani classical music.
• Etran Finatawa – Lead singer Alhous talks about the troubled Sahel region and the band’s new album, recorded in the desert.
• Beginner’s Guide to Irakere, Cuba’s famous jazz-fusion combo
• Postcard from Warsaw
• Backpage from Marseille, this year’s European Capital of Culture
• My World: a playlist and interview with Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger
• Grooves: the singer for ‘little orchestra’ China Forbes, Malian guitarist and bluesman Samba Touré; and Kenyan musical heavyweights Charles Owoko & Joseph Nyamungu
• News, including Korea’s intangible treasures and the highly anticipated Fes Festival
• Reviews of the latest CD, book and world cinema releases