The new-look November/December 2013 issue of Songlines (#96) is on sale in the UK from October 11, which includes our regular Top of the World CD featuring ten tracks from the finest new global releases as well as five tracks chosen by comedian, musician and the recently crowned winner of Masterchef, Adrian Edmondson.
The Top of the World CD includes tracks from the stars of flamenco-pop Gipsy Kings; Touareg band Tamikrest; the Kurdish singer Çiğdem Aslan; the seminal salsa group Africando; the father of Ethio-jazz Mulatu Astatke and many more.
There is also a bonus CD from the Brasil Music Exchange: New Sounds 2013, offering up some of the hottest sounds from Brazil.
This issue also includes…
• Gipsy Kings – The group celebrate 25 years as world music’s biggest act.
• Maria Tănase – Singer Oana Cătălina Chițu is intent on reviving interest in the Romanian Edith Piaf.
• Latin Psychedelia – An introduction to the groups breathing new life into the groovy sounds of cumbia and chicha.
• Çiğdem Aslan – The London-based Kurdish singer releases her debut solo album of classic rebetika.
• Antonio Forcione – The Italian guitarist and composer explores the sounds of Africa.
• Tamikrest – The Malian band talk Touareg politics and the role of women.
• Beginner’s Guide to Chile’s pre-eminent protest singer Víctor Jara.
• Festival Pass to Auckland’s Pasifika Festival.
• Postcard from Kerala.
• My World: a playlist and interview with comedian and musician Adrian Edmondson.
• Introducing The Bombay Royale and Malawi Mouse Boys.
• Spotlight on the influential Scottish group, Capercaillie.
• Quick Fire: Leyla McCalla, Manu Dibango and Anoushka Shankar.
• What’s new, including a look at why the BBC’s World Routes has been cut, what’s in store at WOMEX 2013 in Cardiff, and a report from the first ever WOMAD Russia.
• Reviews of the latest CD, book, DVD and world cinema releases.