The January/February 2014 issue of Songlines (#97) is on sale in the UK from today. The issue includes our regular Top of the World CD featuring ten tracks from the finest new global releases as well as five tracks chosen by BBC radio and TV presenter, Katie Derham.
The Top of the World CD includes tracks from Congolese legends Black Bazar; banjo whizz Noam Pikelny; Brazilian music icon Siba and many more.
This issue’s bonus CD is a 25-track sampler, Wild Music from the Heart of Poland, which is a fascinating compilation of Polish village music.
This issue also includes…
• Best Albums of 2013 – Songlines ten favourite albums of the year.
• Omar Souleyman – The unlikely story of a Syrian wedding singer.
• Future Sounds of Canada – Canadian Aboriginal music with a twist.
• Polish Revival – Poland’s traditional music is seeing a wild revival.
• Dylan Reimagined – Artists from around the world pay tribute to Bob Dylan.
• Assam, India – A look at the sensual and spiritual highs of Assam’s springtime festivals.
• Beginner’s Guide to Northumbrian smallpipes player Kathryn Tickell.
• Festival Pass to Babel Med, Marseille.
• Postcard from Bury.
• My World: a playlist and interview with BBC radio and TV presenter Katie Derham.
• Introducing Aziza Brahim and Alsarah.
• Spotlight on the Arab Music Archiving and Research (AMAR) Foundation.
• Quick Fire: Izzat Majeed, Zaz and Shantel.
• What’s new, including the new Africa Express album, and Abigail Washburn’s US-Chinese folk collaboration.
• Reviews of the latest CD and world cinema releases.