Sahara Soul, Nicola Benedetti and Sam Sweeney
The October 2014 (#103) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by renowned solo percussionist, Dame Evelyn Glennie.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from Afrobeat pioneer Orlando Julius with The Heliocentrics and Brazilian master accordionist Richard Galliano, plus a track from Martyn Bennett’s classic album Grit that has been reissued on Real World Gold. We’ve also thrown in an 18-track bonus Polish CD for your listening pleasure.
This issue also includes…
• Sahara Soul – Andy Morgan talks to the leading artists performing at this very special show coming to the Barbican on September 27, including Noura Mint Seymali, Aziza Brahim and Nabil Baly Othmani.
• Nicola Benedetti – Jo Frost speaks to the classical violinist about exploring her Scottish roots and the folk tradition.
• Jyoti Hegde – The world’s only female rudra veena player speaks to Jameela Siddiqi about her love affair with this Indian string instrument prior to her appearance at Darbar Festival.
• Mor Karbasi – The Ladino singer speaks to Simon Broughton about her three homelands.
• Sam Sweeney – Tim Cumming talks to Bellowhead’s Sam Sweeney as he sets out to retell the incredible story of his violin steeped in history and made during World War I.
• Beginner’s Guide to Guinean Sékouba Bambino, ahead of his appearance at the London African Music Festival in September.
• Festival Pass: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, San Francisco.
• My World: A playlist and interview with Evelyn Glennie.
• Introducing… Gisela João and CC Smugglers.
• Spotlight on Dele Sosimi.
• Quick Fire: Sam Lee, Peggy Seeger and Sheema Mukherjee.
• What’s New, including the release of Finding Fela on September 5 and the French Summer of Unrest.
• Cerys Matthews calls on all festival-goers with a craving for the good life to visit north Wales on September 20.
• Reviews of the latest CD, book and world cinema releases.