Songhoy Blues, Taraf de Haidouks and Mariza
The March 2015 (#106) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by American jazz singer Dee Dee Bridgewater.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from alt-bluegrass boys Punch Brothers, Brazilian rapper Criolo and Mali’s ‘Next Big Thing,’ Songhoy Blues.
This issue also includes…
• Songhoy Blues – The young band from Mali are riding a much-deserved wave of success as they speak and sing out about their country’s social issues.
• Taraf de Haidouks – Romania’s most famous musical export burst onto the scene 25 years ago. The younger generation revisit their classic repertoire.
• Duncan Chisholm – The Scottish fiddle player and composer talks about the importance of his heritage and how the Highlands have inspired his music.
• Gnawa Music – Tim Cumming dives into the spiritual world of Morocco’s Gnawa music, tasting the thrill of the late-night ceremonies and discovering the genre’s new musical talents.
• Celebrating Fado– Nigel Williamson catches up with fado’s leading lights at a recent festival in Lisbon celebrating the genres, curated by Mariza.
• Beginner’s Guide to Scottish band Shooglenifty.
• Festival Pass: Orkney Folk Festival
• My World: A playlist and interview with American jazz singer, Dee Dee Bridgewater
• Introducing… Trio da Kali and Leveret
• Spotlight on Punch Brothers
• Quick Fire: Becky Unthank, Jerry Douglas, Lucas Santtana
• What’s New, including the National Theatre’s production of Dara with a Sufi-inspired score by Niraj Chag
• The Songlines Essential 10 Gnawa Albums
• Reviews of the latest CD and world cinema releases