The queen of Polar punk, Tanya Tagaq, and we announce the winners of the Songlines Music Awards 2015
The June 2015 (#108) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by Franz Ferdinand’s Alex Kapranos.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from ngoni master Bassekou Kouyaté, Scottish trio Lau and Jayme Stone’s Lomax Project.
This issue also includes…
• Songlines Music Awards – We announce this year’s four winners. Find out who’s won.
• Tanya Tagaq – Marc Fournier witnesses the Inuit throat singer’s jaw-dropping live show and finds out about her revolutionary ideals.
• Festivals Guide – Our selection of the world’s best festivals.
• Abderrahmane Sissako’s Timbuktu – The Mauritanian filmmaker talks about the place of music in his searing new film.
• The music of Colombia – The sounds of the country’s three cities: Bogotá, Medellín and Cartagena.
• Shikor Bangladesh All Stars & Lokkhi Terra – Simon Broughton talks to the two groups about their creative collaboration.
• Beginner’s Guide to Malian singer and guitarist Boubacar Traoré
• My World: A playlist and interview with Franz Ferdinand’s frontman, Alex Kapranos
• Introducing… Afriquoi and Vula Viel
• Spotlight on the Thai masked drama, Khōn
• Quick Fire: Banning Eyre, Jayme Stone & Olivia Chaney
• What’s New, including Alchemy Festival, John William’s upcoming series at the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, and the upcoming Touareg exhibition at the Royal Geographical Society
• The Songlines Essential 10 Colombian Albums
• Reviews of the latest CD, book and world cinema releases