Our A-Z to world music; the doyenne of Afro-Colombian music, Totó la Momposina; and Algerian singer Souad Massi
The August/September 2015 (#110) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by former PiL bassist Jah Wobble.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from the Berber singer-songwriter Hindi Zahra, Scottish band Shooglenifty, and Cuban rising star Daymé Arocena.
This issue also includes…
• A-Z of World Music
• Totó la Momposina – The godmother of Afro-Colombian rhythm talks to Chris Moss on the eve of her return to the UK.
• Joe Boyd’s Balkan Adventures – Producer and writer Joe Boyd visits two very different festivals.
• Souad Massi – The Algerian singer-songwriter is on a mission to portray Islam’s philosophy of love, peace and tolerance.
• The Great British Song Map – Author Natascha Solomons was inspired to create a song map of the UK to help songs find their way home.
• Beginner’s Guide: influential American folk singer Peggy Seeger.
• My World: A playlist and interview with former PiL bassist Jah Wobble.
• Postcard from Riga, Latvia.
• Introducing… Ibeyi and 47Soul.
• Spotlight on Gurrumul
• Quick Fire: Dubulah, Nuireann Nic Amhlaoibh & Lorin Sklamberg.
• What’s New, including The Fisherman’s Friends, WOMAD workshops, Les Ambassadeurs and the Sudanese lyre exhibition at the British Museum.
• Reviews of the latest CD and world cinema releases.