Senegalese kora player Seckou Keita; the voice of devotional Sufi music, Faiz Ali Faiz; and folk duo Martin Simpson & Dom Flemons
The October 2015 (#111) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by guitarist and record producer Phil Manzanera.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from the kora and cello duo Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal, South African a capella trio The Soil, and Colombian salsa collective La-33.
• Seckou Keita – The kora player talks to Jane Cornwell about his latest solo project and his journey so far.
• Iness Mezel – The French-Algerian singer tells Alexandra Petropoulos about the magical world of Berber traditions and beliefs that inspired her new album.
• Kaushiki Chakrabarty – The khayal singer speaks about her demanding yet expressive North Indian classical vocal style.
• Dom Flemons & Martin Simpson – After a much-lauded collaboration last year, Julian May catches up with the duo before they embark on another musical adventure.
• Arifa – The Dutch group talk about their latest Eastern-influenced project.
• Beginner’s Guide: The leading voice in qawwali, Faiz Ali Faiz.
• My World: A playlist and interview with record producer and guitarist Phil Manzanera.
• Postcard from Louisiana, US.
• Introducing… Ngawang Lodup and Khiyo.
• Spotlight on Daby Touré.
• Quickfire: Blick Bassy, Heidi Tidow and Chris Eckman.
• What’s New, including the documentary They Will Have to Kill Us First, Cheikh Lô at the 17th WOMEX Awards, Youssou N’Dour, and a snapshot of the Songlines team’s summer.
• Reviews of the latest CD and world cinema releases.