Kora and cello duo Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal; veteran American roots musician Tom Paley; and the late folk singer Ewan MacColl
The November 2015 (#112) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by Jamiroquai’s percussionist, Sola Akingbola.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from French DJ and musician St Germain, Mexican singer Lila Downs and Polish family trio Kapela Maliszów.
• Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal – We speak to the duo about their latest collaborative album.
• Tracing the Banjo’s Roots – Janet Topp Fargion discusses the origin of the banjo in time for the West Africa exhibition at London’s British Library.
• Ewan MacColl – We talk to close family members and admirers of the late singer-songwriter and political activist.
• Projekt Rakija – The Balkan rock band talk to Simon Broughton about their ambitious augmented reality project.
• Tom Paley – Garth Cartwright speaks to the multi-instrumentalist about the current revival of his music.
• Beginner’s Guide: The Hungarian táncház movement.
• My World: A playlist and interview with Jamiroquai’s percussionist Sola Akingbola.
• Postcard from Crete, Greece.
• Introducing… Bachar Mar-Khalifé and Stick in the Wheel.
• Spotlight on the China National Peking Opera.
• Quickfire: Johanna Schwartz, St Germain and Katerina Pavlakis.
• What’s New, including the documentary I Shot Bi Kidude, Felabration, Musical Wonders of India, and the Cuban music festival, Manana.
• Reviews of the latest CD and world cinema releases.