Fado singer Mariza; Chilean rapper Ana Tijoux; and Finnish accordionist Kimmo Pohjonen
The December 2015 (#113) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by jazz musician Courtney Pine.
This issue also comes with bonus CD, West Africa at the British Library, which includes 15 free tracks featuring unique recordings made between 1909 and 2015 from the British Library’s sound collections.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from Cape Verdean singer Lura, Italian duo Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni and Turkish collective Kardeş Türküler.
• Mariza – Gonçalo Frota talks to the fado singer about her new album.
• Ana Tijoux – The Chilean rapper speaks to us about her discovery of hip-hop.
• Sweet Liberties – Julian May gets a history lesson from singers Maz O’Connor, Nancy Kerr and Martyn Joseph.
• Kimmo Pohjonen – Fiona Talkington discusses the Finnish accordionist’s ability to reinvent himself.
• Karen Matheson – Tim Cumming speaks to the Scottish singer about her personal solo project.
• Beginner’s Guide to Béla Fleck.
• My World: A playlist and interview with jazz musician Courtney Pine.
• Postcard from Romania.
• Introducing… The Gurdjieff Ensemble and Lynched.
• Spotlight on Hazmat Modine.
• Quickfire: Buhlebendalo Mda, Tigran Hamasyan and John Baily.
• What’s New, including the ethnographic film Nanook of the North; Battle of the Bands winners Don Kipper; On Their Own: Britain’s Child Migrants, and the latest reissues from the Syliphone Conakry record label.
• Reviews of the latest CD, book and world cinema releases.