Spanish singer Buika; Irish-American group The Gloaming; Burkina Faso hip-hop artist Smockey; Colombian electro-cumbia pioneers Sidestepper; and veteran English folk duo Show of Hands
The March (#115) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by BBC’s China editor Carrie Gracie.
This issue also comes with bonus CD, Polish Radio Folk Festival, which includes 16 free tracks by the finest Polish acts who have performed at the event since its inception in 1998.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from Senegalese musician Baaba Maal, Grammy-Award winning band Grupo Fantasma and Iranian singer Mamak Khadem.
• Buika – We talk to the singer about the music she discovered after confronting her fears.
• The Gloaming – The Irish-American five-piece talk about their forthcoming second album.
• Sidestepper – The Colombian group return with a fresh new sound on their latest album.
• Show of Hands – We speak to the English folk stalwarts about the people behind their songs.
• Smockey – Bram Posthumus finds out how the artist used reggae and rap to change Burkina Faso’s political course.
• Beginner’s Guide to The Chieftains.
• My World: A playlist and interview with BBC China editor Carrie Gracie.
• Postcard from Alter do Chão, Brazil.
• Introducing… Imarhan and Dubioza Kolektiv.
• Spotlight on The Other Classical Musics.
• Quickfire: Jane Beese, Nolwenn Leroy and James Yorkston.
• What’s New, including the upcoming Red Cross benefit album The Long Road; Mali’s Festival on the Niger; Sandblast’s benefit concert at London’s Bolivar Hall; and the Zaatari refugees.
• Reviews of the latest CD, book and world cinema releases.