Posts Tagged ‘111’
Senegalese kora player Seckou Keita; the voice of devotional Sufi music, Faiz Ali Faiz; and folk duo Martin Simpson & Dom Flemons
The October 2015 (#111) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by guitarist and record producer Phil Manzanera.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from the kora and cello duo Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal, South African a capella trio The Soil, and Colombian salsa collective La-33.
• Seckou Keita – The kora player talks to Jane Cornwell about his latest solo project and his journey so far.
• Iness Mezel – The French-Algerian singer tells Alexandra Petropoulos about the magical world of Berber traditions and beliefs that inspired her new album.
• Kaushiki Chakrabarty – The khayal singer speaks about her demanding yet expressive North Indian classical vocal style.
• Dom Flemons & Martin Simpson – After a much-lauded collaboration last year, Julian May catches up with the duo before they embark on another musical adventure.
• Arifa – The Dutch group talk about their latest Eastern-influenced project.
• Beginner’s Guide: The leading voice in qawwali, Faiz Ali Faiz.
• My World: A playlist and interview with record producer and guitarist Phil Manzanera.
• Postcard from Louisiana, US.
• Introducing… Ngawang Lodup and Khiyo.
• Spotlight on Daby Touré.
• Quickfire: Blick Bassy, Heidi Tidow and Chris Eckman.
• What’s New, including the documentary They Will Have to Kill Us First, Cheikh Lô at the 17th WOMEX Awards, Youssou N’Dour, and a snapshot of the Songlines team’s summer.
• Reviews of the latest CD and world cinema releases.
A Man in Motion; over the past decade the various projects of Seckou Keita have been discussed within our pages. His latest album and tour features only him and the 22 strings of his kora; we talk to him about his journey so far.
Other features include Martin Simpson & Dom Flemons who we catch up with after their much-lauded collaboration last year; we talk to Dutch group Arifa about their latest Eastern-influenced project; an interview with khayal singer Kaushiki Chakrabarty; plus the latest CD and world cinema reviews to get stuck into.
The issue’s Top of the World covermount CD includes brand new tracks from La-33, The Soil, Amadou Balaké and Cabruêra, plus an exclusive playlist from musician and record producer Phil Manzanera, who talks about some of his favourite artists from around the world.
On sale in the UK from August 28. Click here to purchase your copy now.