Posts Tagged ‘festival guide 2012’
The new June 2012 issue of Songlines is on sale in the UK from April 27 and includes our regular Top of the World CD with ten tracks from the finest new releases from around the planet, plus a second free CD Back2Black Festival Sampler.
The Top of the World CD also includes five tracks selected by acclaimed actor Simon Russell Beale.
The Top of the World CD includes tracks from Irish folk legends The Chieftains; Cuban jazz pianist Roberto Fonseca; Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars; Solomon Islands pan-pipers Narasirato; Cajun supergroup The Band Courtbouillon; and the Angolan street sound of Batida, among others.
The main editorial features include:
• Songlines Music Awards 2012 – We are delighted to announce the winners of the fourth annual awards, celebrating the best global musicians.
• R.U.T.A. – The Polish punk band whose sound is firmly rooted in revolutionary music.
• Spiro – Finely-constructed modernist folk from the Bristolian band.
• El Sistema – We journey to Venezuela to explore the success of the pioneering music programme that is transforming lives.
• The World’s Best Festivals 2012 – The Songlines round-up of the top places to be in the UK and worldwide.
• Sounding Out Paris – all the best places to see and hear music in the French capital.
• Beginner’s Guide to Amadou & Mariam.
• Postcard from Korea.
• Backpage from Myanmar.
• My World – acclaimed actor Simon Russell Beale.
• Grooves – producer extraordinaire Simon Emmerson, bluegrass star Sarah Jarosz and Top of the World Malian kora player Diabel Cissokho.
• News, including this summer’s BT River of Music, news of this summer’s Songlines Encounters Festival and Cerys Matthews’ latest musical finds.
• Reviews of the latest CD, DVD and World Cinema releases.