Discover a bounty of hot Balkan talent on an exclusive bonus CD – selected for the MOST Balkan Music Export Programme – free with November's issue of Songlines
The Balkans is an area rich in music, but apart from a few bands (usually with western European management), much of it remains unknown to the rest of the continent.
MOST Music is a Creative Europe programme intended to get the music more widely heard and the artists better known. ‘Most’, means ‘bridge’ in the Slavic languages of the region and MOST Music is building bridges to the rest of Europe. The 10 artists featured on The Bridge for Balkan Music Vol. 1, heralding from Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo, Bulgaria and Romania, were selected from 70 applications from nine countries. There are infectious dance grooves, heart-breaking ballads, spiritual sounds and some subverting of the stereotypes we often have of the region.
Further volumes are scheduled for release in 2021 and 2022.
The full tracklist for The Bridge for Balkan Music Vol. 1 is as follows:
1. Almir Meskovic & Daniel Lazar Duo (Bosnia & Herzegovina and Serbia) ‘Sirba Tiganeasca’
2. Lakiko (Bosnia & Herzegovina) ‘Sarajevo'
3. Divanhana (Bosnia & Herzegovina) ‘Emina’
4. Shira U’tfila (Serbia) ‘Halva Shekerola’
5. NAiRUZ (Bosnia & Herzegovina) ’Hadra’
6. Rodjenice (Serbia) ‘Baja’
7. Oratnitza (Bulgaria) ‘Ethiopa’
8. Gipsy Groove (Kosovo) ‘I Run Away’
9. Naked (Serbia) ‘Nakedonia’
10. Balkan Taksim (Romania) ‘Anadolka’
For more details about MOST Music visit: www.mostmusic.eu
The Bridge for Balkan Music Vol. 1 is also available as a download with a digital subscription to Songlines. For more details visit www.songlines.co.uk/magazine